Reconstructive Urology at Vimhans Nayati Super Speciality Hospital is dedicated to offering world-class facilities for treating various structural and functional abnormalities in the organs of the upper & lower urinary tract as well as those associated with the male reproductive system, by repairing, rerouting and recreating the affected areas. The surgical procedures can be quite complex and require an immense degree of specialization that is offered by our expert team of doctors and surgeons.
Medical conditions addressed by the experts:
Common ailments that are treated under the subspeciality of reconstructive urology:
- Urethral strictures – The condition is marked by narrowing of the urethra which makes it difficult and rather painful to pass urine. In extreme cases, there is a complete blockage which means that the patient does not pass any urine at all. Patients suffering from urethral stricture require immediate medical intervention or else it can give rise to serious health issues. Urethral strictures are triggered by an underlying medical condition, injury, or trauma sustained in an accident or a medical procedure that is performed to treat some other medical condition.
- External trauma – External trauma is a result of a severe blow or injury sustained in an accident that severely impacts the pelvic area. This not only damages the organs but also causes internal bleeding which can lead to scar formation, bladder tears, chronic inflammation, and urethral stricture.
- Incontinence – Incontinence is a problem marked by the loss of bladder control i.e. the person is not able to hold urine and passes out small droplets of it while coughing and sneezing. The condition can be temporary or persistent and is further divided into the following categories:
- Stress incontinence
- Urge incontinence
- Overflow incontinence
- Functional incontinence
- Mixed incontinence
- Complications post-prostatectomy – Prostatectomy is performed on patients suffering from prostate cancer, so as to remove all the cancerous tissues. Since it is major surgery, it is accompanied by certain side-effects which may include urinary incontinence and erectile dysfunction. In such cases, the patient requires another surgery to reverse or repair that damage and ensure the full use of the sexual and urinary function.
Apart from these major conditions, reconstructive urology also addresses problems like bladder fistulas, congenital defects, pelvic floor disorders, pelvic organ prolapse, Peyronie’s disease, etc.
State of the art procedures offered at Vimhans Nayati:
- Scar tissue removal for treating urethral strictures
- Surgery for repairing strictures
- Surgery for correcting penile deformities
- Penile prosthesis or implant surgery for erectile dysfunction
- Artificial urinary sphincter implantation to treat urinary incontinence
- Vaginal surgery for treating urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse in females
- Buccal mucosa grafting for even the most complex female genital reconstruction
- Penile surgery for treating hypospadias
- Fistula repair surgery
- Surgery for addressing traumatic injuries
- Urinary diversion surgery