The Department of Renal Sciences at Vimhans Nayati Super Speciality Hospital offers first-class comprehensive treatments for a broad spectrum of urologic diseases. There are various gender-based diseases and ailments which have been stigmatized but here at Vimhans Nayati, the team make sure that our patients are met with a sensitive environment and personalized care. Commonly referred to as ‘impotence’, even though it is technically the wrong term, erectile dysfunction is a condition marked by difficulty with either getting an erection and/or keeping an erection during sexual intercourse. If the condition is rare, it could be associated with the emotional aspects linked with the process of having sex, but if the occurrence of the condition is recurrent, it is advised to seek medical help.
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
A major distinguishable symptom of Erectile dysfunction is the trouble in keeping an erection for some time. The other possible symptoms are trouble getting an erection and a noticeable reduction in sexual desire. If the erection is associated with other sexual issues such as premature ejaculation, consulting a urologist is the best option.
What are the causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction can develop either from a single cause or due to several factors and it is important to note that apart from physical issues, emotional issues can also lead to the problem. In some cases, the patient deals with psychological issues that may seem disconnected from the sexual response but actually, they may be causing the trouble with getting an erection. The possible causes of Erectile Dysfunction have been mentioned below:
- Physical causes:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Certain hormonal imbalances
- Drug use
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol
- Increased age
- Injury to the pelvic area
- Kidney disease
- Low testosterone levels or other
- Metabolic syndrome
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Peyronie’s disease
- Specific medications are taken for high blood pressure or depression
- Tobacco products
- Emotional causes
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Sleep disorders
Factors that can affect Erectile Dysfunction
- Alcohol intake
- Drug use
- Heart problems
- Prostate surgery
- Psychological conditions
- Radiation treatment for cancer
- Use of tobacco
- Weight issues
Diagnostic Procedures for Erectile Dysfunction
At Vimhans Nayati, state-of-the-art technology is used to diagnose the patients. There are certain tests recommended for the diagnosis of erectile dysfunction and pinning the underlying cause for an effectively planned treatment.
- It includes a physical exam to determine the functioning of the heart and lungs. It may include measuring blood pressure, inspecting testicles and penis, and a rectal exam to check the prostate.
- To ensure that the right cause of the problem has been diagnosed, often the patient is asked to fill a questionnaire which has questions related with the possible symptoms that the patient may be experiencing, their health history and sexual history.
- To examine penile blood flow, an ultrasound is recommended.
Nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) test
- It is natural to have nocturnal erections, to measure these, the patient is made to wear a small device on their thigh. Since the device is portable, the patient is comfortable wearing it, and the data stored in the device is inspected by the doctor later.
- Erectile dysfunction is unable to keep the erection for the sex. To stimulate an erection, a medication is injected into the penis. In the aftermath, the doctor examines the erection.
Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction
Vimhans Nayati has a well-organized unit that ensures the privacy of the patient during their treatment and acknowledges healthy boundaries. With cutting-edge faculties and an experienced team of urologists, they offer various treatments for erectile dysfunction.
- A vacuum pump consists of a plastic tube, a pump, and an elastic ring. Firstly, the plastic tube is placed over the penis. Attached to the tube is a pump that helps to create a vacuum to push out the air from the penis. The function of the elastic tube is to hold the erection and obstruct the circulation of the blood to prolong the erection.
Erectile dysfunction Surgery
- Surgeries are recommended when medications fail to provide relief to the patient. There are two types of erectile dysfunction surgery:
- As the name suggests, a prosthesis is placed in the penis. Inflatable implant and malleable implant are the two types, the former enhances the shape of the penis whereas the latter allows for manual adjustment of the penis.
- Preferred for men of younger age, vascular surgery repairs blocked arteries to restore the required blood flow to the penis for the erection.