The Department of Orthopaedics and Joint Replacement at Vimhans Nayati Super Speciality Hospital resorts to the use of latest techniques and methods to deliver up to the date treatment procedures for addressing various orthopaedic and joint problems. The various cutting-edge procedures offered here include knee replacement surgery. With more than 1,20,000 procedures carried out every year knee replacement, also known as knee arthroplasty, is one of the most common orthopaedic procedures that involves the surgical replacement of a damaged or diseased knee joint with a healthy prosthetic component. The procedure is usually recommended to patients suffering from chronic knee pain and inflammation so as to relieve the symptoms and give them a better chance at life.
Knee replacement is not an option for everyone and your eligibility for the same is determined by carrying out a series of test to evaluate the affected joint's strength and stability. Initially, your doctor may recommend you to go for medication and therapies. Knee replacement surgery is usually the last resort, performed when other treatment options fail to give the desired results.
Knee replacement surgery is further classified into two categories depending upon the number of joint components that have been replaced. These are:
- Total knee replacement
- Partial knee replacement
The knee joint consists of three components. In case of total knee replacement, all the three components are replacedwhereas, in the case of partial knee replacement or unicompartmental knee replacement, only one of the components is changed, leaving the remaining two completely intact.
Though knee replacement surgery is usually recommended to treat arthritic knee joints, it is important to understand that this is not the only reason why the procedure is performed.
Knee replacement can also be recommended to address joint degeneration caused by any of the following:
- Congenital joint disorders that worsen with time
- Premature arthritis triggered by growth abnormalities
- Injuries or trauma suffered in an accident
- Unnecessary strain and pressure on the knee
- Chronic infection involving the knee joint
- Disorders of the connective tissue
Major indications of Knee Replacement
The major indications that point towards the need for knee replacement include the following:
- Severe damage caused by Arthritis that has been confirmed via tests and screenings
- Symptoms like pain and inflammation, that are persistent even after taking medications and going for therapies
- Chronic pain that is becoming unbearable day by day
- Pain that is interfering with your day to day activities and sleep patterns
- Limited range of motion due to joint stiffness
Benefits of Knee Replacement
Knee replacement surgery has a number of benefits that include:
- Alleviated pain and discomfort
- Enhanced range of motion
- Better mobility
- Freedom from inflammation and swelling
- Better chance at life