The Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Department at Vimhans Nayati is considered to be one of the best in the country offering leading-edge treatment options for patients suffering from a wide range of Orthopaedic and joint problems. The department is a hub of expertise and excellence offering a plethora of treatments including surgical procedures like hip replacement. With more than 70,000 procedures carried out in India annually, hip replacement has helped hundreds and thousands of patients to get back on their feet and resume a normal life. The procedure involves the surgical replacement of a damaged or diseased hip joint and replacing it with an artificially created prosthetic joint that resembles the original joint in structure and function.
Hip replacement is also referred to as hip arthroplasty. The procedure is usually the last resort of treatment when medication and therapies fail to give the desired results or if the patient is not responding well to any of these. The latest advancements in the field have added to the accuracy and effectiveness of the procedure and made it the leading choice of patients all across the globe.
Hip replacement is recommended to patients suffering from a degenerative joint disease like arthritis which causes the cartilage to wear out. As a result of this, the ends of the bone rub against each other leading to immense pain and discomfort.
Apart from treating an arthritic hip, the procedure may also be performed to treat joint degeneration caused by the following problems:
- Congenital or childhood disorders which aggravate with time.
- Growth abnormalities that can trigger premature arthritis
- Severe trauma suffered in an accident
- Excessive pressure or strain on the hip joint due to excess body weight or any other reason
- Sever infection involving the joints
- Connective tissue disorders
- Joint damage triggered by rheumatoid arthritis
Major indications of hip replacement
The major indications that may call for the need of a hip replacement include:
- Arthritic hip that has been confirmed on diagnosis
- Pain and discomfort that is not subsiding with therapies and medication
- If the pain is preventing you from carrying out simple day to day activities.
- If the pain is interfering with your sleep cycle
- Severe joint stiffness that is limiting your mobility or range of motion
Benefits of Hip Replacement
The various benefits of hip replacement surgery are as under:
- Relief from pain and discomfort
- Better range of motion
- Enhanced mobility
- Significant decrease in pain and swelling
- Better quality of life