Centre of Excellence for Neurosciences at Vimhans Nayati Super Speciality Hospital is dedicated to offering holistic and comprehensive care to patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease with the aim of improving the quality of their life.
Parkinson’s disease is a progressive disorder that affects the nervous system and leads to shaking, muscle stiffness, and tremors that make it difficult to carry out normal day to day functions and maintain posture, balance, and coordination. It initially starts as mild tremors. The condition might also affect the patient’s ability to speak. The incidence of Parkinson's is considerably lower in India but still, the problem cannot be taken lightly. As of now, there is no treatment to completely cure the patient however, the symptoms can be easily managed with the right care.
Symptoms that should not be taken for granted
During the initial stages of Parkinson’s disease, the patient may not feel any major symptoms, just slight tremors that may usually go unnoticed. The symptoms usually develop in one part of the body and radiate throughout the body over time.
Some of the major symptoms associated with Parkinson’s disease include:
- Mild tremors that usually start in the limbs and aggravate with time
- Bradykinesia or slowing down of movement that makes it difficult to complete tasks
- Muscle rigidity that curtails the range of motion
- Visible abnormality in balance and posture
- Loss of involuntary movements like blinking and smiling
- Inability to speak fluently
- Change of handwriting
What triggers Parkinson’s Disease?
Parkinson’s disease is triggered by the breaking down of the neurons or nerve cells present in the brain. The loss of these neurons leads to the lowering of dopamine levels which is believed to be the major cause of Parkinson’s disease.
Factors that increase your vulnerability to Parkinson’s Disease
Factors that are likely to increase your vulnerability to Parkinson’s Disease include:
- Environmental factors
- Lewy bodies and Alpha-synuclein found within them
How our experts diagnose the problem
Various state of the art diagnostic procedures offered at Vimhans Nayati include:
- Physical examination to determine the extent to which the problem has progressed
- SPECT (single-photon emission computerized tomography) scan or DaTscan (dopamine transporter scan) to back the suspicion of Parkinson’s disease.
- Imaging tests like MRI and CT scan to rule out the prevalence of other disorders that might be responsible for the symptoms.
- Regular health assessments for proper neurological evaluation
Treatment options offered by our expert team
At Vimhans Nayati we offer a wide range of medicinal and surgical options for the management of Parkinson’s disease with the aim of improving the patient’s quality of life. These include medications as well as surgical interventions.
The medicines help to relieve the symptoms and elevate the dopamine levels to a healthy scale. These include Carbidopa-levodopa, dopamine agonists, MAO B inhibitors, Anticholinergics, Amantadine, etc.
Surgical interventions include deep brain stimulation or DBS. This involves the implantation of special electrodes in specific parts of the brain which are conned to a small impulse generator placed under the skin in your chest with a thin wire. The device helps to generate impulses that are sent to the brain to control the symptoms. It is usually recommended for patients with advanced Parkinson’s.