The Department of Cardiac Sciences at Vimhans Nayati Super Speciality Hospital is committed to offering world-classmodalities for the effective treatment and management of a broad spectrum of diseases affecting adults, children and new born babies. The Department offers state of the art Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgeries to treat a wide gamut of diseases and ailments affecting the HEART, thoracic organs and the vascular systembacked by the latest cutting-edge technology and expertise of a highly specialized team of doctors, Nurses, Technicians and Paramedical staff with immense expertise in the field of Cardiac Sciences.
Furthermore, the hospital’s modular Operation Theatre and ICU are equipped to manage all types of cardiac emergencies supported by the team with qualified cardiac anaesthetists and latest equipment.
What is Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery?
Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgeryis a Cardiac Speciality that deals with the surgical treatment of HEART diseases (Coronary Artery Diseases, Valve repair & replacement, Coronary Heart Diseases).Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery is recommended to patients who are not responding well to simple medication or require immediate intervention.
Major indications of Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG - Surgical treatment of Heart Attack)
- Valvular heart disease - Single &Double valve replacement (Mitral Valve, Aortic Valve, etc.)
- Congenital heart disease (Hole in the heart, Blue baby treatment)
- Aortic disease
- Carotid artery disease
- Heart Failure (requires VADs or Heart Transplant)
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Venous disorders like Varicose Veins and Deep vein Thrombosis
Areas of Expertise
- CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery) – The surgical procedure is used to treat blocked coronary arteries which are primarily narrowed or blockeddue to the deposition of fat (Atherosclerosis) in the vessel heart. This helps us in the prevention of Heart attack & improved quality of life.
- Open Heart Surgery – It is an umbrella term used for various surgical procedures that are carried out by cutting open the chest cavity to directly access the affected organs. Conventional Coronary artery bypass, Single & Double valve repair are the most common type of open-heart surgery.
- Beating Heart Surgery – Also known as off-pump surgery, the procedure is carried out while your heart is still beating. It does not require the use of a heart-lung bypass machine and is carried out via tissue stabilization technique to immobilize only the small area of heart. The procedure has a lot of benefits like faster recovery, less use of blood & blood products, and the patient can get back to work early.
- Minimal Invasive Cardiac Surgery – Also called as Key Hole Surgery, it is one such beneficial technique in treating heart diseases. This surgery is performed through making small keyhole-sized incisions in the right/left side of the chest (instead of the larger incisions in conventional heart surgery). These tiny keyhole incisions are often made using specialized surgical instruments. The incision for minimally invasive heart surgery is approximately about 2 to 3 inches instead of the 6 to 8 inch-incisions needed for conventional surgery. Recovery time in such surgeries is quicker, cosmetically acceptable & less painful.
There are three types of Minimal Invasive Cardiac Surgeries:
- Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery: Valve surgeries (valve repairs and valve replacements in the heart)
- Minimally Invasive CABG Surgery
- Minimal Invasive surgery for closure of the Hole in the Heart (ASD, VSD), Congenital Heart Diseases
- Single and multiple valve replacement/repair – Valve replacement/repair surgeries are performed to treat obstructed or dysfunctional valves of the heart.
- Aortic surgeries – It is a type of vascular surgery that aims at addressing diseases and ailments involving the aorta, i.e., the major artery, responsible for carrying oxygenated blood from the heart to various parts of the body.
- Heart Tumour Surgery– The surgery aims at the removal of benign or malignant growths that develop within the heart chambers.
- Rotablation for Calcified Coronaries – The procedure involves the use of a tiny drill, which is powered by compressed air, to remove calcified blockages. The procedure is highly recommended for treating heavily calcified lesions.
- Intra-vascular Ultrasounds – It is an imaging modality that involves the use of soundwaves to produce and generate images of the blood vessels. It is majorly recommended for the evaluation of the coronary arteries.
- TAVR &Endovascular Procedures – These procedures are carried out without opening the chest wherein the doctors insert a catheter in your leg or chest and guide it to your heart. It is a blanket term used for a variety of minimally invasive procedures that are used to address problems related to the blood vessels, such as aortic dissection, aneurysms, Blocked Artery, etc.